A few years ago now, daddy fish requested a set of real kitchen knives for his birthday. At first I was like "what?!, knives, we have knives." And he was like "Yeah, but we don't have these knives." I wasn't sold but it didn't matter seeing as it was his birthday and all. Thanks to his wisdom and research we now had a set of three great knives that I have enjoyed using...until I became pregnant with guppy number three.
The early stages of pregnancy are rough, I felt like I lived on the couch for a good four months while the guppies swam circles, watched too many Disney movies and fought till we all cried. They were bored out of their poor little minds and I was barely surviving each day. One day in my hazy fog of existence I realized my cute little pairing knife had gone MIA. Whilst in the fog I let a few days pass without bringing it up to daddy fish thinking maybe he had taken it to work with him to prep his lunch (that I was certainly not making at the time). When I finally did bring it up we both discovered that neither of us knew the whereabouts of said knife.
Sad day in the fish tank folks, I have been lamenting about it ever since. We take great care with our meager knife collection and were so sad to see one go amiss. To this day we can not figure out how that knife got away. The only conclusion we have been able to come up with is that somewhere in my pregnancy stupor I must have thrown it out.
Seeing my lament and lack of a small blade to slice small items and peel fruits and veggies. My wonderful husbands surprised me with the completion to our set once again!
Do you have a set of good knives? You should. If you are passionate about cooking and keeping your fingers in tact while doing so invest in some good knives. I just read on one of my favorite blogs this morning (and I couldn't agree more and as I adore both) "A sharp knife is as important in the kitchen as butter." - Pioneer Woman

Cherish your knives folks, take care of them, keep them clean. Keep them sharp! They will need maintenance, as any cherished thing does (and all the women out there say, "here, here!"). Treat them better than your children. ;) And for the love of all things tasty, do not put them in the dishwasher! With care you wont need to watch any more infomercials for knives ever again!
No comments:
Post a Comment