Sunday, August 1, 2010

Going Dutch

Along with my trusty 12" wonder back in January, I also received this beast:
Lodge Cast Iron 7-Qt. Dutch Oven
Lodge 7 quart dutch oven. Which I also love. It's huge, and heavy, but hey, I don't work out much so I might as well burn some calories while I'm in the kitchen.

I cook soup a lot--nearly once a week. It's a great way to add variety and go somewhat vegetarian or at least cut down on your meat considerably. This particular dish is by no means vegetarian, but it does stretch your meat budget and most soups are loaded with veggies so it's just one more way to get them into your families diet. Served with a salad and garlic parmesan bread/or bread-sticks (recipes coming soon), you are good to go.

This recipes sounds a bit odd if you just look at the ingredients and recipe alone, but take my word on it, it's good. It comes together very quickly and is a light meal even for the summer. My husband once visited Poland in our first year of marriage and has told me many times that this soup reminds him of a soup he had there, only better! I love compliments like that. I think of it every time I pull out this trusted recipe.

Okay, so for all you gluten free eaters our there, this ones for you!...hope you eat pork, but if you don't, just sub turkey bacon instead.

Bean and Bacon Soup
originally found here, and adapted slightly as I usually do

Ingredients
4 strips bacon (or turkey bacon*)
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 small cloves garlic (or 2 large), minced
2 15 1/2 cans great northern beans**, drained***
2 c water
1 tbsp chicken demi glaze (or sub one cup broth for one of the cups of water)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt & pepper to taste

*if you choose to sub turkey bacon, be sure to add more fat (oil) to your pot before cooking the carrots as turkey bacon is much leaner than true bacon.

**you can also sub lima, cannellini, borlotti beans (I prefer cannellini or great northern the best)

***to drain or not to drain. Some say if your beans are organic, don't drain. Some say always drain. I prefer not to drain a bulk of the time because I like the added flavor you get from the bean juice, I think it adds depth. And as Rachel Ray says "Layer the flavor". It's just my preference, but use your own artistic creativity here folks.


Directions
Preheat your dutch oven over medium-high heat.

Add your bacon and cook on both sides until crisp and tasty looking. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Let cook, chop and set aside.

If your bacon is particularly fatty remove some of the excess fat from the dutch oven with paper towels. You want about one tablespoon to remain.


Now add your chopped carrots to the dutch oven and cook in the bacon grease, about 5-8 min.


Add the celery, onion and garlic. Stir every once in a while until cooked 3-5 min. Add some salt and pepper--"Layer the flavor".


Add your two cans of beans, water/broth/demi glaze.


Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 min, covered.


Uncover, and with a potato masher, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly


Stir in the parsley, chopped bacon and stir. Adjust salt and pepper to taste


Serve hot. Serves 4-6

1 comment:

  1. Kerry!! My mother is of Ukrainian and Polish descent; my father German...I have been eating this soup since birth! It is amazing. Yummy!!

    xoxo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete