Monday, August 2, 2010

Endless possibilities

The other night I made another batch of fresh pizza dough, but had a third of a portion left over. I had been contemplating making another pizza, but knew I only had enough dough for one pizza, and one just doesn't even come close to filling our four fish tummies at this house.

So what to do with it? The inspiration hit me as I was preparing that nights dinner: a simple rice pilaf with seared and diced pan chicken (in the skillet, no less), peas, fresh grated parmesan and topped with fresh chopped parsley. I mixed it all together in a sort of casserole esque dish. Bread-sticks!! Topped with butter, parmesan and fresh parsley, they were the perfect accompaniment to our light Saturday evening dinner.

These would go perfectly with nearly any meal. I can see them paired with a lovely pasta dish, a salad, soup...whatever really. And what a great use of leftover dough.


Skillet Bread-Sticks

Ingredients
left over pizza dough
2-3 tablespoons melted butter
fresh grated parmesan
fresh chopped parsley
sprinkling of sea salt

Directions
pre heat oven to 450
let your dough come to room temp (about 10 min)

on a cutting board or work surface, slice dough into equal wedges and roll into roundish sticks -- not too thin though, we are going for chewy, not crusty here

with a pastry brush, slather with melted butter. Top with parmesan cheese, parsley and a bit of salt


carefully move prepared breadsticks to your favorite cast iron skillet, place in oven and cook for about 10-12 min


remove from oven when golden brown and cheese is melted. Carefully, add one more layer of melted butter -- don't skip this step, it really makes the bread-sticks come alive.


Eat warm. Yum, they were good!

No comments:

Post a Comment