Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hot Buns!

In my quest for wholesomeness, frugality, -and for goodness sake!- trying to not feed my children high fructose corn syrup at every meal, I came across this recipe for homemade hamburger buns. They are amazing, so simple and amazing (yeah, I know I already said that, but they are amazing!)

A quick note. Kitchen aid. Splurge. Buy one, use it, love it! I use my kitchen aid so much, I'm worried I'm going to kill the motor. Little did I know way back at the time of my nuptials how much I would use this wonder of a kitchen tool. I should have went big and purchased the heavy duty guy, rather than the standard home cook model. Don't get me wrong, it handles what I throw at it, but I would like to make larger batches of things like yeast doughs, that the little guy just can't quite keep up with. If you're at all into baking (which you should be!, cause it's fun and wholesome) go big and buy the big guns.

This dough is very versatile--my favorite kind of recipe. It will make the most beautiful hamburger and hot dog buns, delish dinner rolls and oh so good bread sticks. In the recipe below I have used it as a slider bun. They were cute, perfect for the kids and super tasty. I had to stop eating and tell my husband for the umpteenth time "man, these are really good!?". I said it questioningly because I shocked myself with superiority of this home-cooked meal.

Make, eat, enjoy!

I'm linking you to the original recipe because I didn't need to change a thing, it's great how it is people. However, I am posting my step by step pictures just to eeze the way a bit for all you who may not be too comfy cozy with yeast dough.

Burger or Hot Dog Buns...or dinner rolls...or bread sticks...or...
whatever makes you smile and say yum!


melt the butter, milk & water


add it to the flour mixture. mix.


add the egg. mix.


add more flour about a half cup at a time. mix.


add more flour until your dough is slightly sticky, but not tacky. see how the dough is sticking to the bottom of the bowl here? it needs a tad more flour and more kneading.

place your dough on your work surface and shape into a log


cut the log into half, then cut that portion into half and so on until you get the desired number of rolls you need. shape into rounds and place on greased cookie sheet.

smooch down slightly to get that hamburger bun feel/look


let rise and bake


Slice in half for burger bun, or eat whole as a simple dinner roll.
I know, looks amazing. Not to worry, it tasted even better. Recipe coming VERY soon, as in, like next.

It goes without saying, that when you are forming your dough for sliders make them smaller, there I said. Now go make some really cute, tasty dinner!


2 comments:

  1. i seriously want to eat these buns right now - with or without the hamburger. damn damn sam gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob's Red Mill makes a GF flour sub. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear great things around the cooking blogs about it. I think you can just sub it in exact portions. I will have to do a test batch sometime and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete